The Mindful Eyes Foundation offers free, drop-in optometry services at the Berkeley Free Clinic on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month!
Free Services Offered
- Over-the-Counter Reading Glasses*: No prescription necessary
- Prescription Eyeglasses*: Single vision and bifocal only, valid prescription needed
- Vision Screening: May include some of all of these listed below, performed and/or supervised by a licensed optometrist
- Confrontation vision tests
- Screening blood pressure measurement
- Screening ocular health tests
Note: this is a screening and does not take the place of a complete eye examination which includes a full vision and ocular health examination to check for diseases including but not limited to glaucoma, cataracts, and macular degeneration. Because of this no written eyeglass or contact lens prescription will be made available in accordance with CA Civil Code 1714.26.
*One pair of reading glasses or one pair of prescription glasses per person per year.
To qualify for services, a patient must fall into one of the following categories:
- A veteran of the armed forces
- An adult (over the age of 18) in a household with total annual income at or below 138% of the federal poverty guideline. See here or here for 2018 federal poverty guidelines based on household size
- An adult (over the age of 18) receiving Medi-Cal or county health benefits
What to Expect
- For prescription glasses, bring valid spectacle prescription. Frame selection and lens measurements will be performed, and spectacle orders will be ready for pick-up by the next Mindful Eyes event (approximately 2 week processing time)
- If a patient is unable to obtain a spectacle prescription, they will be referred to a community eye care professional or receive a vision screening through Mindful Eyes (determined on a case-by-case basis)
Resource for Clients with Medi-Cal
- UC Berkeley, Meredith W. Morgan Eye Center
- Minor Hall Addition (next to the Haas School of Business)
- Online appointments are available.
- Sorenson & Sorenson, MDs: Dr. Andrew L. Sorenson, MD
- 3010 Colby St. Berkeley, CA
- Can request an appointment online
- Bellevue Eye Medical Center: Dr. Leonardo Dacanay, MD
- 1911 Addison St. Berkeley, CA
- For veterans, we can help you connect to eye exam services with the VA
- The 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month from 5:30pm - 7pm. Drop-in only.