Peer Counseling Collective | "We actively listen to any individual needing a safe space to share their thoughts."
Monday through Saturday the Peer Counseling Collective provides free, confidential peer counseling for individuals.
In our 60- or 30-minute sessions, we use active listening style peer counseling to hear and understand clients' thoughts and concerns. We do not give advice, provide treatment, or make diagnoses. We also cannot write or fill prescriptions but we do offer referrals to other low-cost Bay Area mental health resources.
Our training is a self-exploratory learning experience that prepares its trainees well for peer counseling in a community-centered health model. The training lasts six months and takes place on Thursday evenings and Sundays. We require a one-year commitment after training to volunteer within the Peer Counseling Collective. This commitment involves staffing shift nights as well as being an active member of our collective.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Believe in health care for people, not for profit!
- Want to be part of a collective where there is no hierarchy and all decisions are made collectively
- Are ready to explore issues of oppression and life challenges in a non-judgmental way
- Are from all different backgrounds and have a range of experiences
- Are eager to develop new skills and learn about yourself in the process
- Commit to attending all classes and completing all training requirements
- Can make a one-year commitment after completion of the training, which includes being a peer-counselor AND being an active collective member
The Peer Counseling Collective is NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS!
Volunteers MUST attend one of three below info sessions. This year's application can be found here. Thank you!
- Wednesday, June 21 (7pm-9pm)
- Sunday, July 2 (11am-1pm)
- Thursday, July 13 (7pm-9pm)